- 3D printed handle, nicer shape, more detailing etc
- Blinky LEDs to make it more exciting
- A glass barrel. It isn't actually glass, but it looks like it.
- A charger circuit so I don't have to take it apart to charge the battery
- A more interesting noise
- Using an Attiny85 rather than a Teensy
Here's the handle as it arrived.
The handle is hollow to accommodate the battery and it has a ridge around the edge so the pearl inset I'm adding will fit snugly. There are two curly bits I'm rather pleased with. It took some fairly fine detail work in blender to get those right and they turned out pretty good. Getting detail that fine with MDF is, of course, impossible. MDF just tears and you cannot carve it.
I also want to mention the raised lozenge shape just above the lower curly bit. There's a wide hole through the structure underneath that and I wanted to add some strength to it at that point. I think the material, now that I've actually handled it, didn't need it. But these are the kinds of decisions you can make with 3D.
The code the Attiny85 is running is in a google code project. That also has the 3D model, which I've made public on shapeways too.
The copper coil is decorative only and the LEDs are kind of tangled in amongst it.
Here's what it looks like in action:
Neither of those are real lasers though.